Who We Are
Launched in March 2014, we are a Code for America brigade: a group of volunteers who are passionate about using our skills to advance civic innovation in San Jose. Our members represent a range of skill sets and interests, spanning the high tech, local government and non-profit sectors.
We welcome coders, designers, data geeks, policy wonks and community members of all types with an interest in using technology, creativity and the human spirit to solve real problems.
What We Do
We promote civic innovation in two main ways:
- Civic hacking: Our members develops civic apps, data visualizations and other tools that are useful and inspiring to the San Jose community. We hold twice-monthly civic hack nights and organize quarterly special events such as hackathons.
- Policy and advocacy: Our policy team educates community leaders on open data and open government best practices, and advocates for local open data policies.
Code for San Jose’s activities are guided by its leadership team.
- Brigade Captains: Kalen Gallagher, Michelle Thong
- Delivery Lead: Vivek Bansal
- Other leadership team members: Charlie Meza, Kenny Spade, Evan Kroske, Hassan Schroeder, Anusuya Choudhury
- Municipal Liaison: Michelle Thong
- Open positions: Storyteller/Social Media Manager, Community Partnerships
Interested in joining our leadership team? Get in touch with Kalen and Michelle. (You can send a message via our Meetup page if you aren’t already connected.)
Code for San Jose is an entirely volunteer organization. In 2014-2015, our events and activities were made possible through the generous support of:
- Office of Mayor Chuck Reed, San Jose
- Knight Foundation
- Code for America